Saturday, February 25, 2017

Like David Was
By: Melody Mohnhaupt

Recently I’ve been reading out of 1 Samuel and I’ve been surprised by how much the Lord has been teaching me. Knowing that David was a man after God’s own heart and then reading all he went through, is humbling. We all, as Christians, desire to know God and to be like Him, and, boy, is David a good example of that. Even though we know he wasn't perfect, it’s his heart that the Lord saw and loved most about him. 

David was humble, selfless, and respected authority to a level I’ve never seen any other man reflect in his life. Although he was pursued to be killed a number of times by King Saul (the man he looked up to most and loved as a father figure) he never lost his respect and reverence for him as God’s anointed. David honored Saul even at his worst. It’s not because he exalted him as a man, but it’s because he exalted God and respected the authority God set over Israel. God appointed Saul as king. No man did. David reverenced God’s decision to elect Saul and because of that, David knew not to dare touch God’s anointed. If he did so, he would have had to answer to God.

Here are the two examples that speak most of David’s character and heart for the authority placed over him:

1 Samuel 24: 1-14 (AMP)
“When Saul returned from following the Philistines, he was told, ‘Behold, David is in the Wilderness of Engedi.’ Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel and went to search for David and his men in front of the Rocks of the Wild Goats. On the way he came to the sheepfolds where there was a cave; and Saul went in to relieve himself. 

Now David and his men were sitting in the cave’s innermost recesses. David’s men said to him, ‘Behold, this is the day of which the Lord said to you, ‘Behold, I will hand over your enemy to you, and you shall do to him as seems good to you.’’ Then David arose [in the darkness] and stealthily cut off the hem (edge) of Saul’s robe. Afterward, David’s conscience bothered him because he had cut off the hem of Saul’s robe. He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, to put out my hand against him, since he is the anointed of the Lord.’ So David strongly rebuked his men with these words and did not let them rise up against Saul. Saul got up, left the cave and went on his way.

Then David also got up afterward and went out of the cave and called after Saul, saying, ‘My lord the king!’ And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the ground and lay himself face down. David said to Saul, ‘Why do you listen to the words of men who say, ‘David seeks to harm you?’ Behold, your eyes have seen today how the Lord had given you into my hand in the cave. Some told me to kill you, but I spared you; I said, ‘I will not reach out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed.’ Look, my father! Indeed, see the hem of your robe in my hand! Since I cut off the hem of your robe and did not kill you, know and understand [without question] that there is no evil or treason in my hands. I have not sinned against you, though you are lying in wait to take my life. May the Lord judge between me and you; and may the Lord avenge me on you; but my hand shall not be against you. As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Out of the wicked comes wickedness’; but my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue [with three thousand men]? A dead dog, a single flea? May the Lord be the judge and render judgment between me and you; and may He see and plead my cause and vindicate me by saving me from your hand.’’


1 Samuel 26:1- 20 (AMP)
“The Ziphites came to Saul at Gibeah, saying, ‘Is David not hiding on the hill of Hachilah, east of Jeshimon?’ So Saul arose and went down to the Wilderness of Ziph, taking with him three thousand chosen men of Israel, to search for David [there] in the wilderness of Ziph. Saul camped on the hill of Hachilah, which is beside the road east of Jeshimon, but David stayed in the wilderness. When he saw that Saul came into the wilderness after him, David sent out spies, and he learned that Saul was definitely coming. So David arose and went to the place where Saul had camped, and saw the spot where Saul lay, as well as Abner the son of Ner, the commander of his army; and Saul was lying inside the circle of the camp, with the army camped around him.

Then David said to Ahimelech the Hittite and to Abishai the son of Zeruiah, brother of Joab, ‘Who will go down with me to Saul in the camp?’ And Abishai said, ‘I will go down with you.’ So David and Abishai went to the army during the night, and there was Saul lying asleep inside the circle of the camp with his spear stuck in the ground by his head; and Abner and the people were lying around him. Then Abishai said to David, ‘God has given your enemy into your hand this day; now then, please let me strike him with the spear driving it to the ground with one stroke, and I will not strike him the second time.’ But David said to Abishai, ‘Do not kill him, for who can put out his hand against the Lord’s anointed [king] and be guiltless (innocent)?’ David also said, ‘As the Lord lives, most certainly the Lord will strike him [in His own time and way], or his day will come and he will die, or he will go down into battle and be carried off [dead]. The Lord forbid that I would put out my hand against the Lord’s anointed; but now take the spear that is by his head and the jug of water, and let us go.’ So David took the spear and the jug of water from beside Saul’s head, and they left, and no one saw or knew nor did anyone awaken, because they were all sound asleep, for a deep sleep from the Lord had fallen on them. 

Then David crossed over to the other side and stood on the top of the mountain at a distance, with a large area between them. David called to the army and to Abner the son of Ner, ‘Will you not answer, Abner?’ Abner replied, ‘Who are you who calls [and disturbs] the king?’ David said to Abner, ‘Are you not a [brave] man? Who is like you in Israel? Why then have you not guarded your lord the king? For one of the people came [into your camp] to kill the king your lord. This thing that you have done is not good. As the Lord lives, you surely deserve to die, because you have not guarded your lord, the Lord’s anointed. And now, see where the king’s spear is, and the jug of water that was by his head.’

Then Saul recognized David’s voice and said, ‘Is this your voice, my son David?’ And David said, ‘It is my voice, my lord the king!’ And David said, ‘Why is my lord pursuing his servant? For what have I done? Or what evil is in my hand? Now therefore, please let my lord the king hear the words of his servant. If the Lord has incited you against me, let Him accept an offering [from me]; but if it is men, may they be cursed before the Lord, because they have driven me out this day to keep me from sharing in the inheritance of the Lord, saying, ‘Go, serve other gods.’ Now then, do not let my blood fall to the ground away from the presence of the Lord; for the king of Israel has come out to search for a single flea, just as when one hunts a [defenseless] partridge in the mountains.”


Honestly, when I began writing this, I didn't know where I would go with it. I was simply sharing what the Lord had been showing me about David’s heart. However, a lightbulb just went off. I don't want to get into politics, but I do believe, whole heartedly, that God is in control. He knew since before the beginning of time who would be elected into office as the President of the United States on January 20, 2017. He knew who would be in office before that, and who is going to be in office after. He placed them there for a purpose and a reason.

Whether they are the best thing for our country, or the worst, God put them there and we better not touch the anointed of God. Clearly I don't think any of us are planning on physically harming people in authority that we have a problem with, but in Proverbs 12:18 (AMP) it says, “There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing.” We might not be wounding anyone physically, but contrary to the old sticks and stones belief, words do hurt others. Proverbs 18:21 (KJV) says, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue…”

We must be like David and reverence the Lord and his plans so highly that we would not even speak evil of his elect and the plan that nobody but God set. In Ephesians 4:29 (KJV) it says, Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.”

Matthew 12:36 (AMP)
“But I tell you, on the day of judgment people will have to give an accounting for every careless or useless word they speak.”

Proverbs 17:28 (AMP)
“Even a [callous, arrogant] fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise;
When he closes his lips he is regarded as sensible (prudent, discreet) and a man of understanding.”

Psalm 141:3 (AMP)
“Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips [to keep me from speaking thoughtlessly].”

We need to be careful what we let come out of our mouth. Obviously, in general, we need to be watchful of what we say, but how much more so when it comes to people God has ordained to be set over us. We may not understand some things, and we may not even agree, but our duty is to keep our hands pure. We must pray for the leaders God has placed over his people. This goes for everyone in authority: our president, our church leaders, our bosses, our parents, and so on. 

1 Timothy 2:1-3 (AMP)
First of all, then, I urge that petitions (specific requests), prayers, intercessions (prayers for others) and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all people, for kings and all who are in [positions of] high authority, so that we may live a peaceful and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This [kind of praying] is good and acceptable and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior

Even when King Saul (God’s anointed) ordered his men to kill the priests of Israel for protecting David, his men refused to do so because they knew that the priests were also God’s anointed. 

1 Samuel 22:17 (KJV)
And the king said unto the footmen that stood about him, Turn, and slay the priests of the LORD; because their hand also is with David, and because they knew when he fled, and did not shew it to me. But the servants of the king would not put forth their hand to fall upon the priests of the LORD.

Psalm 105:15 (KJV)
Touch not my anointed, and do my prophets no harm.

Ephesians 6:5 (KJV)
Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Exodus 20:12 (KJV)
Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

The Lord cares a lot about authority and he places no man into such a position without a purpose and a plan. He is surely intensional in his decision making. If the authority that is placed over us is doing wrongfully, we have the right to address them as David did with Saul, graciously and respectfully with a pure heart in acknowledging the mantel one in authority carries, but we must never usurp that authority or disrespect it in anyway. We must always allow the Lord to bring vengeance if we have been treated unjustly. “vengeance is mine saith the Lord”, Romans 12:19 (KJV). He sees all, hears all, and knows all. He is a just God and will avenge his children if needs be. We can’t allow ourselves to become hateful and bitter (especially against authority). We must long for the heart of David; the heart of God. Pray for those in authority. God knows they need it. Pray for a soft heart that desires reconciliation if a division has been brought. Stay soft. Stay humble like David was. 

-Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment