Saturday, May 20, 2017

Got Idols?
By: Kenya Gossett 

\\Little children, keep yourselves from idols.// 1 John 5:21

Idolatry: extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone. 

What is sticking to our spiritual tree that we need to kill at the root and shake off? The idols of this world have become a chameleon and many have unawarely attached themselves to an unhealthy cycle of idolatry. More and more I see how the enemy is bringing in distractions, appearing to be so innocent and small but it's bringing forth death. Social media, relationships, the desire for marriage, churches wanting to run with the big boys: entertaining all of the newest fads, money, etc. has slowly taken the place of God. 

\\You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God.//
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭20:3-5‬ ‭WMB

In the last month, this teaching has resonated within me: convicting me to the core. It's an uncomfortable subject. No one wants to give up what they hold so dear. I went through my own process: fighting internally and making excuses. But I found myself going deeper and deeper in a pattern that really wasn't benefiting my spiritual walk.

Social Media:

\\But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.// Matthew‬ ‭6:33‬ ‭KJV‬‬

My biggest struggle as of late was social media. My phone was super glued to my hand and it was frustrating. I got into the habit of checking my phone first thing in the morning. I'd scroll through Instagram or Facebook, spending all of my time on that before I got up to start my day. When I should of taken that time to say good morning to Jesus and pour out my heart on the behalf of others before my feet touched the ground. 

That's what He longs for and so deserves. I think Jesus gets excited when His children wake up. He wants to love on us and prepare a special adventure with the Holy Spirit as we walk into a new day. I can only imagine how much we miss, due to us not communing daily with Him like we should. Above all, I'm sure it hurts His heart. 

So, I deleted my social media apps for a season.
Yes, it has been an amazing tool for ministry but so much time can be wasted. It has become silly and pointless. 

If you have struggled with this: I challenge you to pray and if you must: delete your apps and next time you go to pick up your phone, open your Bible app and read the heart of God. (If you don't have an actual Bible with you.) You will start seeing a major change when you stop looking at a screen. Your eyes will open to what's around you and how God has been speaking this whole time. 

I think people will live if we don't see what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Listen, if the devil can have an inch and bring any sort of distraction to prevent us from walking in a Heavenly realm, he will. Satan is relentless. He's as a lion, seeking whom he may devour. 

Relationships: 

\\You shall love the Lord your God with ALL your heart and mind and with all your soul and with all your strength [your entire being].//
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭6:5‬ ‭AMP‬‬

When I first began my current courtship, we set order from the very start and took a lot to prayer. We both agreed that if our relationship ever started to become a distraction, that we would end it right then and there. We had no problem with that, because our relationship with the Lord and the anointing we individually carry comes first. It's everything to us. It's not worth losing. If we can't further the Kingdom together as a couple, challenge each other, stay in His presence together, and fall more in love with our Creator together, then there's no purpose to it. 
It would kill our spirits. It's not always easy, but Praise God, He has kept us. Our decision has caused us to flourish and stay focused! 

Don't get me wrong. It's so normal to want to spend every second of the day with the person God has joined you to. Your heart takes flight. It's new and exciting. BUT when it starts to dictate your time with the Lord, your 1st love, then you've got a big problem.

It's also normal to dream about marriage and your happily ever after. That's been my biggest dream ever since I can remember! Yet, I've gone through a lot of heartbreak due to me worshipping that. 

I've learned that our life doesn't start after marriage. We are supposed to be living an abundant life now, focused and serving the Lord, FIRST. He is our source of joy. Our identity will always be found in Him, not a relationship. Jesus is enough. 

Don't make the idea of marriage or a relationship an idol. God will take it real quick. 
Our greatest calling is loving Jesus. Getting married and working in the Kingdom with your spouse is just a bonus. 

So, fall in love with the King. Be immersed in Him and the forever love He gives. In HIS beautiful time, He will give the key to your heart to someone who will protect it. You will be treasured and it will be so worth the wait. 

Christianity:

\\Beloved, don’t believe every spirit, but TEST the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.// ‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭WMB‬‬

A wolf in sheeps clothing has entered into the church. Preaching a doctrine that tickles the ear, giving a word that is easy for the soul to hear. Not a word that convicts or refines. Signs and wonders are being chased: releasing strange fire. 

People have become more concerned about what will please the congregation and bring the crowd in for self glorification, instead of asking, what will please the heart of God and bring His Spirit in?! It's become a show. They want what is tangible. They are pursuing the stage and not the Presence. It has become an idol. 

We have to be very careful with what we associate ourselves with and what we believe. 
I am a firm believer that we need to be locked into the House of God and faithful in our servitude, but finding a place where there is absolutely no sugar coating of the Word of God, is vital! 

Test the spirits. Look at the fruit. Study the Word, and you will see the Kingdom vs. Christianity. Many are worshipping golden calfs today and they don't even know it. 

Money: 

\\For the love of money [that is, the greedy desire for it and the willingness to gain it unethically] is a root of all sorts of evil.// ‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭6:10‬ ‭AMP‬‬

I'm a worrier. If I'm not worrying, I'll find something to worry about. So with that: finances has probably been the biggest burden. 
But let me tell you, God has never let us go without. We have always trusted Him, but the thought of not making it, became an idol. Our focus was on how or when we would get the money. Slowly we were losing the expectation of how GOD was going to do it! 

\\And my God will liberally supply (fill until full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.// Philippians‬ ‭4:19‬ ‭AMP

I love that translation. He will fill you until you're FULL. He's a faithful Daddy. He's obligated to take care of us. He knows what you need before you even ask Him. Just do your part and be faithful. 

Store your treasures in heaven. Not on this earth. Set your mind on the things above! 
God will take care of the rest here on earth.
Our life does not depend on the amount in our bank account. God has a plan. We will not just survive, we will thrive. Amen?! 

Only you know what you have made an idol in your personal life. Destroy it TODAY. Let Jesus be the king of your heart because the moment you allow a distraction to sit on your throne: it will kill, steal, and destroy. Don't depend on it. The Bible calls idols "the teacher of lies" and wow, what a true statement that is! Let truth and freedom reign!

We are citizens of Heaven. We were made to worship God. Not men, not relationships, not wealth, not a job, not social media. Jesus. For Such A Time As This. 

1 comment:

  1. I can say Amen, to this message, because it is according to my conviction and I also preach about it. Glory to God !!! And I am very pleasantly surprised. Yes, God bless you! I wonder who writes this?

    ReplyDelete