Friday, January 6, 2017

Not By What You See
By: Melody Mohnhaupt

I have sort of a funny analogy to help illustrate my topic in this week’s blog. This silly example got me thinking so just bare with me. The other night I went to go see the new “Star Wars: Rogue One” movie with my brother. One part of the movie stood out to me. If you’ve seen it, you’ll know what I’m talking about. If not, I hope this isn’t a spoiler alert, but I will explain. In this particular scene, a “Jedi-like” blind man relies on the force to be his sole guide and protection as he walks through a fierce battle. Shots are being fired at him from every direction, yet he is not moved. He still steps out and trusts in the power within himself to make it through. He calmly and repeatedly reminds himself with each step, “I am one with the force. The force is with me. I am one with the force. The force is with me”. Amazingly, he walks through the raging battleground to his destination without a single disturbance. 

In the theater I just smiled and thought, “Wow, thats what it’s like when we have faith”. Even though we may feel like we are walking blindly through a battle, when we have faith, miracles happen. It reminded me of my favorite quote. I’ve shared it before, but I’ll share it again:

 “There is nothing, indeed, which God will not do for a man who dares to step out on what seems to be the mist; though as he puts down his foot he finds a rock beneath him.” -F.B. Meyers

 I began thinking of all the people who had their own “Jedi-like moment” in the Word of God. Of course, we must realize the difference, however. In the Bible, these people obviously don’t rely on “the force”, but in a much, much greater force: The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4 (KJV)

My mind shuffled through the different scenarios in the Word where unlikely characters achieved super natural outcomes because of their faith. Much like this blind man versus the treacherous war zone, we see biblical examples such as: the Israelites versus the Red Sea, David versus Goliath, the Shunammite woman versus her son’s death, the three Hebrew boys versus the fiery furnace, Daniel versus a den of lions, and many more; all of which trusted in the mighty hand of the Lord to deliver them. I could just imagine them in those fearsome moments when they were looking death square in the face. I could hear them speaking to themselves: I am one with the Lord. The Lord is with me. I am one with the Lord. The Lord is with me.

The Bible says:

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Romans 8:11 (KJV)

 Listen carefully: I am sending the Promise of My Father [the Holy Spirit] upon you; but you are to remain in the city [of Jerusalem] until you are clothed (fully equipped) with power from on high. Luke 24:49 (AMP)

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19 (KJV)

No man will be able to stand before you; the Lord your God will lay the fear and the dread of you on all the land on which you set foot, just as He has spoken to you. Deuteronomy 11:23 (AMP)

Also read Psalm 91

As the children of God, we have been given authority over the enemy. We have been guaranteed protection if we dwell in the secret place of the most high. When we are personal, obedient, and intimate with the Lord, we become one with his spirit. The SAME spirit that raised him from the grave dwells and works in us!

It’s time we walk by faith, and not by what we see.The God of the Israelites, David, Daniel, and all those mentioned previously, is the SAME God we serve today! We have the SAME access to the power of God that they did. We have the SAME authority through the name of Jesus that they did! 

The Lord wants to work through his children. He wants to show us his mighty power. Miracles STILL happen! Step out in faith and watch God move! Claim things that aren’t as though they were, and fear not when your situation seems impossible. God is with you! He is in you. Let him work through you!

-Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment